Develop and Grow
A key part of creating a MAGIC workplace with engaged employees is giving them the opportunity to develop and grow.
When employees raise their levels of self-awareness about their strengths and blind spots, they can become far more effective. We all perform best when we are playing to our strengths, and by understanding our shortfalls we can develop strategies to improve or work round them.
The value of an internal workshop is that a group of employees experience the same learning opportunity together. This means they can have discussions and work on practical exercises that are relevant to their workplace.
An outcome of training workshops is that there is a common language that can be applied to a workplace issue, and this can be a key part in a team bonding and developing.
Having an engaged workforce that is continually growing and developing is a big step to creating a MAGIC workplace.
Definition of Insanity – Doing the same things over and over and expecting different results
Our workshops and programs give plenty of opportunity for interaction and discussion, after all we learn from our peers as well as from the facilitator.
We build in an opportunity for reflection and action planning into every workshop, so each participant can take the learning and consider how to apply it when they get back to work.
We curate content from a number of sources including DISC profiling and Patrick Lencioni’s Five Dysfunctions of Team. We blend this with coaching methodologies, management training and over thirty years experience to provide a rich learning experience.
Potential to Perform
The following modules can be stand-alone or combined together tailored to your needs to build a program that enables every participant to reach their potential.
The program is designed to give participants a much clearer sense of their own strengths and development areas, and what motivates them to succeed.
The program forms an important part of your cultural transformation exercise – once you are clear on what your need to to do to Future-Proof your organisation, and is a key component in Creating a Fantastic Workplace.
I work with you to decide on your priorities, where to start and who should participate.
Just like the diversity in your team, there are many options available to achieve the results you’re looking for. Some of the options are listed below. The very best place to start is to contact me and I’ll talk through the needs of your organisation and provide you with the best solution to meet your goals.
- Understanding different behavioural styles using DISC
- Identifying your natural style, it’s strengths and limitations
- Adjusting your style for different situations
- Working with others
- Managing energy
- Strategies for growth
- Personal development planning
Workplace conflict is inevitable, and in fact can be useful for team growth and development. But many teams either shy away from potential conflict situations, or allow conflict to degenerate into arguments, blame and other destructive behaviours.
- Explore destructive and productive conflict styles
- Understand how to effectively manage your response to conflict situations
- Develop new communication strategies
- Improve relationships with team members and clients
Performance Excellence Culture
- What gets measured and why
- Being clear on what is expected
- The art of negotiation
- Giving and receiving feedback
- A performance coaching approach
- Having difficult conversations
- When it needs to get formal
Resilience in Times of Change
- Personal beliefs and values
- Change management curve
- Understanding your default response to change
- The importance of mindset
- Lifestyle balance
- Personal strategies for surviving and thriving
- Based on Patrick Lencioni’s Five Dysfunctions of Team
- Vulnerability based trust
- Managing (and encouraging) conflict
- Clear accountabilities
- Gaining commitment
- Focussing on results
The following modules are aimed at the Leaders in your organisation and can be combined with the Potential to Perform program to form your Developing Leaders Program.
Strong leaders can realise the potential in your organisation to achieve your organisation goals. Weak or inappropriate leaders can hold back your organisation, and have a negative impact on morale and productivity.
In an increasingly complex and fast moving environment, leadership skills are essential to:
- resolve conflict
- effectively manage negotiations
- harness ideas for innovation
- manage the flow of communication
Every organisation is different and your leaders are unique. Some of the options for developing your leaders are listed below. The very best place to start is to contact me so I can understand what you need and develop a tailored solution to meet your goals.
Just as we need to learn to consciously manage our behaviour, leaders need to consciously adopt the right leadership style for different situations, people and events.
Being a great team member doesn’t necessarily equip an employee with the skills for being a great leader, so individuals need an opportunity to reflect and learn new skills.
- Understanding different leadership styles and when to use them
- The role of leader and manager
- Working with your strengths
- 360 feedback and development planning
Create a fantastic workplace
In this short introductory workshop we will identify and explore the seven steps to creating a fantastic workplace:
- Clarify expectations
- Effective recruitment
- Pay and conditions
- Induction and training
- Results and feedback
- Listening to employees
Culture is often talked about, but not always understood. Culture can be described as “the way we do things round here”, and it encompasses the organisations beliefs, values and history. This program helps to create a conversation around culture, so that the organisation can develop and achieve its goals.
- Using Barrett Cultural Transformation Tools
- Current and desired culture
- Values driven culture
- Identifying gaps and action planning
Future-proof your organisation
We will usually kick off Future-Proofing your Organisation with a workshop to get the senior management team on board with what’s required in the future.
- Clarify your organisation strategy and objectives
- Identify what skills and resources you will need in the future
- Design your ideal organisation structure
- Identify the gap between the future and current reality
- Develop your people strategy and action plans
Imagine your organisation with every employee committed to putting in extra effort for your customers, and wanting to stay with you for the long term. Focussing on employee engagement helps you:
- Identify the true believers, achievers, stayers and underminers in your organisation
- Measure employee engagement
- Improving employee engagement based on MAGIC
- Action planning
The starting point for any great team is recruiting the right team members. But the recruitment process often disappoints. This workshop helps leaders put some rigour into the recruitment process to give themselves the best chance of success.
- Getting clear on what you need
- The legal framework
- Effective interviewing
- Other selection techniques
Individual Coaching for Optimising Performance
I can tailor a personal optimising performance and development program for an individual in your organisation. We will usually start by using a profiling tool such as Everything DiSC, and getting feedback from peers, direct reports and managers. From there we will develop a tailored coaching program over a minimum of six sessions.
One-on-one coaching can be highly effective and enable the coaching client to make significant shifts in their mindset and behaviour in a short space of time.
Individual coaching is also an excellent addition to other learning activities, to really embed and start to apply the learning.
The coaching is confidential although general trends and progress will be fed back to the managers with the consent of the coaching client.
Every organisation and individual is unique. The very best place to start is to contact me so I can understand where you are at and what you need, and then provide you with the best options to meet your goals.
The agenda is set by the coaching client in conjunction with the organisation, and may cover areas such as:
- Behavioural strengths and development areas
- Observation of self and impact on others
- Understanding of others
- Your personal brand
- Projecting power and authority
- Negotiation and influence
- Work/life balance
Following a coaching program clients often report:
- Greater clarity on their personal goals and objectives
- Able to see different options and ways forward
- Greater self awareness of strengths and development priorities
- Understanding of blind spots that get in the way of results
- More confidence and enjoyment of life
Why invest in coaching?
Whilst traditional training focuses on knowledge and skills, coaching is more concerned with how the knowledge and skills are applied. Often the most illuminating conversations revolve around why the coaching client hasn’t implemented learning – what are the road blocks that have got in the way?
Although coaching often deals with interpersonal skills, it is by no means a soft option.
The coaching process holds the coaching client accountable. And frequently there is no harder task master than ourselves.
About Everything DiSC
The Everything DiSC Workplace Profile helps you understand yourself and other people, which enables better working relationships and collaboration.
The profile identifies your priorities for workplace enjoyment – whether it is a need for accuracy or enthusiasm, results or support.
The profile also identifies your motivators and stressors, giving you a greater understanding of how to enhance your performance, and strategies to adopt when things aren’t going so well.
You can see comparisons with team members, and understand your similarities and differences.
The workplace profile foundation can be added to with 360 feedback, sales, management and leadership profiles.
Coaching Families in Business
I am an accredited advisor with Family Business Australia (FBA).
Family run businesses make up over 75% of all businesses and employ over half of Australia’s workforce.
Running a family business brings its own special rewards and issues, as family dynamics have a significant impact on how the business is run. Each person can manage a number of roles with different demands, for example family member, manager, employee and Director.
Succession planning is a challenge in itself, as the incumbent leader plans to hand over the baton to the next generation. I help the family and the business through these transitions, enabling relationships to stay intact and even strengthen whilst the business continues to flourish.
FBA Monthly Forum
I facilitate a FBA Forum which is made up of ten family business owners who meet monthly. The Forums are entirely confidential, allowing Forum members to discuss issues safely and without judgement.
Issues that are covered in the Forum include:
- Transition and Succession Planning
- Legal and business structures which are suitable for family businesses at different stages of their life cycle
- General business advice including systemising and growing the business
- Family issues and relationships
I joined the FBA forum because we are a family business facing first time succession issues. I have gained an appreciation of the shared experiences of running a family business, and the solutions that people come up with.
Jayne’s facilitation skills have enabled an efficient exchange of views, and held me accountable to push forward on some long term “difficult to deal with” situations.